Lewiston Morning Tribune|
Sunday, April 2, 1911
Hold Funeral Today
Remains of L. Rowley Be Laid to Rest - Occurs From Vassar Chapel at 2:30 o'clock - Sketch of His Career.
The funeral of the late Lafayette Rowley will be held today from the Vassar chapel at 2:30 o'clock. The first part of the services will be conducted by the First Church of Christ, Scientist, and the latter part by the Odd Fellows.
Lafayette Rowley was born at Arcadia, N. Y., August 2, 1830. He was in his 81st year at the time of passing on. He lived at his native place until 22 years of age, when he moved to Illinois, and in 1854 was joined in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Ennis at Elmwood, Ill. Mrs. Rowley survives him, as does their son and only child, Eugene A. Rowley, long identified with the business interests of Lewiston.
In August, 1861, Mr. Rowley enlisted in the 47th Illinois infantry and served in that regiment for nearly three years, having charge of the regimental band as leader, or "drum major." He was mustered into R. B. Hayes Post No. 2, department of Idaho, on February 7, 1883, and has been a member in good standing ever since. Among his comrades he was held in high esteem. He was untiring in performance of services for the post and in kindnesses toward his comrades.
By occupation he was a carpenter. He worked at his trade in Illinois and later moved to Burlington, Iowa. Here for five years he was in the employ of the C. B. & Q. railroad company and assisted in the construction of the big railroad bridge of that company across the Mississippi at Burlington. On Jun 30, 1870, he moved with his wife and son, the latter then about 18 years old, to Lewiston. Several of the better houses of Lewiston, constructed at an early date, were built by him. After the burning of the Monteith & Snell sawmill, Mr. Rowley ran for several years the sash and door factory department of that mill saved from burning. He followed this occupation until from a period of poor health he was forced to give up that employment, but later joined with his son in the operating of a planing mill south of the Weisgerber brewery on Snake river. He continued in this business until the burning of the structure with the adjoining Booth or Boston flour mill. With the closing out of this business, his active business life terminated. Advancing years and failing strength, first depleted his army service, caused him to give his time and attention to serving the interests of the G. A. R. post and the local and grand lodge of Odd Fellows.
He joined the Odd Fellows' lodge at Moquon, Ill., in 1867. He was one of the charter members of the local lodge, I. O. O. F., organized April 26, 1881. He was often honored by his lodge, holding virtually all the positions in is list of officers and was for a term grand master of the grand lodge of the state and was representative of the state grand lodge two years, attending as such representative one meeting at Boston, Mass., and one at Detroit, Mich. Among his brother Odd Fellows his loss will be keenly felt.
Those who knew him best most fully learned and appreciated his quiet but thoughtful ways. His neighbors, young and old, had, in appreciation of his kind and sympathetic nature, long called him "Grandpa." He was a man of sterling integrity and noble qualities as a neighbor, friend and citizen.