John Clark

Lewiston Teller
Lewiston, Idaho, April 16, 1880


In this city, on the 14th inst., John Clark, aged 52 years.

Sudden Death of ex-Judge Clark.

Early on Wednesday morning Judge Clark awoke from sleep and complained of a suffocating sensation, and told his wife that he would get up and go out for fresh air. He arose and emerged from his sleeping room in his night clothes to an adjoining room and suddenly fell unconscious. His wife succeeded in placing him again upon his bed, and sent for a physician, who came immediately, but life was extinct. He never spoke after his fall nor exhibited any signs of consciousness, but only gasped a few times and all was hushed in death. He had been engaged in several important cases in the district court in session here, and was in court till after 9 o'clock on Tuesday evening, and spoke at some length upon a motion and with much earnestness. We do not know of his complaining that evening of any unusual physical weakness. He has suffered at times for years with an affection in the region of the heart and back for which he has had considerable medical treatment, and the theory of his sudden demise is attributed to this malady. He may justly be said to have died in the harness as a practicing lawyer and an active citizen. He leaves a wife and four children, the offspring of herself and a former husband, to lament his loss, to all of whom he had been a devoted husband and father, and by whom he was held in great esteem and affection.

The deceased was a native of Pittsburg, Pa., and was 52 years of age. He came to California as early as 1852 or '53, and engaged in mining. He filled the position of deputy sheriff at Weaverville for some time. He came to Lewiston in the Spring of 1862, in company with many others from California. In the Fall of that year he went to Boise and remained for some time and then returned here; then went to Pierce City and sojourned for some time, and while there he was called upon to accept the office of district attorney for this district. This position he filled throughout two terms and during a part of a third, when he was appointed judge of the district. This latter position he filled till the appointment and qualification of the present incumbent, Norman Buck. He then resumed his position at the bar as a practicing attorney, when death found him. He was a man of very sanguine temperament; earnest in the objects he sought to attain, generous with his friends, active and earnest in his advocacy of such measures as he deemed for the public good, and an earnest and prompt judge upon the bench, a zealous prosecutor of those who had violated the laws, and honored citizen in this whole community, and retaining up to his death a host of warm friends, upon whose hearts his sudden demise falls like a pall of deep grief and sadness, in which our whole people deeply sympathize.

The funeral of the deceased took place from the Catholic church on Thursday at 2 o'clock p.m. under the auspices of Rev. Father Marvillo. The attendance was the largest we have ever witnessed in this city. About 30 carriages besides those on foot. In the first was the clergyman and then the family physician, then followed the hearse with the remains, then the pall-bearers, then the family mourners, then the District Judge, U. S. Attorney and members of the bar, wearing badges of mourning. Then followed other carriages with citizens and their families. Sadness and gloom were depicted on every countenance. The sad emotions of the bereaved wife and children were extreme as the remains of the fond husband and father were being lowered into the grave.

Contributed by Natalie Huntley

Return to Obituary Index

Return to the main Nez Perce Co., ID index page

Last updated Thursday, 18-Aug-2016 22:07:42 MDT